Sunday 19 February 2012

Sunday Afternoon Reads


As a child, I despised Sundays. The homework I inevitably hadn't completed would be pushed to the forefront of my mind, weighing me down with each passing hour, and living in a tiny rural village in the middle of Nowheresville, there was absolutely nothing to do. Festering in front of the television seemed the only feasible option, with the old reliable, and almost melodic, soundtrack of lawnmowers, washing machines and peeling vegetables playing in the background.

That was before I discovered the simple joy of Sunday Afternoon Reading. It begins with the newspapers and their mountainous piles of dusty printed black ink, glossy magazines, and the additional sections that no-one ever reads. This takes me at least an hour, and I scour the limitless pages intensely (most articles are admittedly left unfinished). After this ritual is complete, finally, out come the books! - (and the tea, biscuits, obligatory pet on lap, etc).

What could be a more pleasureable experience than a mild sunny Sunday, with little background noise except for domesticated hums and twitters from nature, a comfy sofa, steaming hot drink, the occasional brisk walk, and a bloody good book in your hand.

I imagine myself lounging elegantly like the lady in this Monet picture, but in reality, I'm covered in dog hair and wearing the last available clean clothes. But by God, in my head I'm almost there! I digress...

If I had to choose a specific style of novel to pour over on a Sunday afternoon, it would hands-down be Miss Austen. I have definitley been influenced by the BBC's Sunday evening coverage of antique collectables, jolly 1950's midwives and little postcard villages filled with gossipy bonnet-wearing women.

Who else indulges their literary whims on a Sunday afternoon? And what reading materials do you find best compliments it?

No comments:

Post a Comment